Trends & Techniques - Chalkboard Background

OK so in an earlier post about the new kits I mentioned one of the trends & techniques I wanted to have a play at this month is creating a layout with a chalkboard background. I've had a go at a few different chalkboard style techniques in cardmaking and thought it could work well on scrapbook page too.
There are lots of different ways you could make a chalkboard style background but this is how I've done mine.
To begin with I picked out the black cardstock from the main kit as this is what I'll be using to create the chalkboard background for the layout. I then picked out papers and embellishments from both kits that would work with my photo and the black cardstock. Here's what I picked out:


For the chalkboard background you'll need some stamps to use. I picked out simple designs, hearts and arrows but you could use more intricate ones too - something like a pretty floral could work really well. You'll also need a white pigment inkpad and white embossing powder with a heat gun to set it. I used a puff white embossing powder because I liked the texture better but a regular one would work too. The white inkpad I used was a Brilliance Dew Drop inkpad in Moonlight White.

OK onto the layout. To begin with I cut out the Echo Park Love Story paper to be my layout base, (for this page I wanted to make a 8.5 x 11" size layout). Then I trimmed down the black cardstock so it was just slightly smaller and rounded the corners. On top of that I then started to build up the layout using layers of the patterned papers - non of these are glued down yet this was just to get an idea of where to place the stamps on the background.

 
Once I'd figured out the best position for the stamps I removed the papers leaving me with just the black cardstock to begin making the chalkboard background.

 
First I used the white ink to stamp then the white powder to emboss the stamp images on the cardstock.
 
 
 
 
Next using the inkpad I brushed ink around the edges and over the rest of the black cardstock. The foam pad on the inkpad I'm using meant it gave a soft finish but if you have an inkpad with a felt pad use a piece of kitchen paper or cotton wool to brush the ink around the edges to make soft swishy marks like when chalk is brushed around a chalkboard.
 
 
You can use kitchen paper to soften it or if you've used too much white add a little black ink over the top to blend it back. Once you're happy use the heat gun to set the ink.
Once I'd finished the  chalkboard background I used 3D foam pads to adhere it to my layout base.
 
 
Next I used the papers I'd cut earlier to rebuild up the layout this time gluing them down.
 
 
Here's the finished layout:

 
So this is just one way that I used to create the look of a chalkboard background. An alternative method you could try is to use a clear inkpad, (like a Versamark) to stamp you images and use real chalk to brush over the top. Another way I've created backgrounds for cards is to use an embossing ink pen and doodle on the images. That technique could be a unique way to add journalling to a chalkboard layout too.
Anyway hope it's given you some ideas to have a play with!
x Leo

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I love this page - the chalkboard effect looks really cool :)

    ReplyDelete